Thursday, December 27, 2007

Free Rice!

My newest obsession: Free Rice. They give you a word, and if you can correctly guess the definition, they will donate 20 grains of rice to the United Nations to help end world hunger. I haven't been able to get my score above 45, which is making me feeling slightly stupid (that and the "Word Play" episode of Independent Lens that was on the other day -- there are people out there who can finish the New York Times crossword puzzle in two minutes??? Yikes.) But it's stupidity for a good cause! I have so far donated 8620 grains of rice, which would come out to over half a pound. (I weighed some grains of rice today: 150 grains of long grain brown rice is about .01 pound.) Not bad for sitting on your butt clicking a mouse, plus you get to expand your vocabulary. Minify! Hostler! Cerise! Tellurian! Cacography! Hirsine!

No comments: