Friday, February 22, 2008

stuffed mushrooms

Earlier this month, the newspaper incorrectly listed February 21st as National Stuffed Mushroom Day. According to the internet, it was actually on February 4th, but by the time I realized I had the "wrong" date, the 4th was already past, and, my gosh, now that I know about it I can't just not celebrate Stuffed Mushroom Day. Blasphemy! So we had our Stuffed Mushroom Day a little late, but now we know better for in the future. Although, really, as my dinner companion said, Stuffed Mushroom Day should be at least a quarterly event.



Feta-Spinach Stuffed Mushrooms

10-20 crimini mushrooms, depending on size (you can use 2 good portabellas, too)
1/3 of a package of frozen spinach (about 1/4 cup)
1/2 an onion, finely chopped
1-2 tablespoons minced garlic
1/2 cup feta, crumbled (about 1/4 pound)
1-2 tablespoons dried basil
1/4 cup breadcrumbs
olive oil

Defrost spinach and squeeze out as much moisture as you can. It should be fairly dry. Fresh spinach or other greens work fine, too (chard is actually very tasty) if you chop it up first and wilt it in a pan with a little oil. Saute onions in oil until they start to soften and turn translucent; add garlic and saute a minute longer. Combine spinach, onions, garlic, feta, basil, and breadcrumbs (if you're using frozen-and-squeezed-dry spinach, you'll probably have to fluff it with a fork first). (Also, I was running a bit low on dried basil last night, and my fresh basil is still in seeds-in-an-envelope form, so I threw in a little fresh parsely because I had some on hand. Thyme, dill, and oregano would all work, too.) Clean mushrooms and discard stems; brush caps liberally with oil. Stuff with feta-spinach mixture and cook in a 350 degree oven for 15-20 minutes, until mushrooms are cooked full through.