Sunday, March 9, 2008

another lesbian kale recipe

In response to the Compost Maven's Lesbian Kale Sauce, I present to you my favorite kale recipe. As you can see, it's very complex and exacting. But I really enjoy the combination of sweet and salty and earthy, and the colors are awfully pretty, too. I'll take pictures next time I make it.

Kale-Yam-Pecan Stir Fry

1 bunch kale, washed-n-chopped
1 yam (a.k.a. orange-fleshed sweet potato) sliced thin (about 1/4 inch thick)
1 onion, sliced
handful of pecans
sesame oil
tamari or soy sauce
brown sugar
brown rice

Saute kale, yam, and onion in sesame oil and tamari (I don't measure it, keep adding enough so that things don't stick and so that it tastes good) until kale is wilted and yam is cooked through. It helps a lot to have a pan with a good lid so that you can keep it on low-medium heat and let the veggies steam a bit. When veggies are cooked, add pecans and a spoonful or two of brown sugar, and cook a minute longer so that the sugar melts and carmelizes a bit and the pecans get coated in goo. Serve over rice.

No comments: